A full range of treatments available under one roof Jones Memorial Hospital is proud to offer perhaps the most comprehensive rehabilitation program in rural healthcare. Our experienced, professional staff of therapists and technicians provide a range of rehabilitation services with proven results. We have helped thousands of patients recovering from injuries, surgery, stroke, illness, and other physical setbacks.
The following Rehabilitation Services are available at JMH:
- Cardiac Rehab provides a personalized exercise and education program for cardiac patients. It is a long-term, comprehensive program that includes medical evaluation, prescribed exercise, cardiac risk-factor modification, education and counseling. The exercise portion of the Cardiac Rehab Program includes medical supervision with EKG monitoring.
- This is a three phase program that begins while the patient is in the hospital with cardiac medical problems. The second phase is an outpatient program designed to help patients make the transition from hospital back to their usual lifesyle. This phase includes monitored exercise three days a week, with a one hour educational session. The final phase of the program allows the patient to become independent and includes less supervision.
- For more information about the cardiac rehab program or to find out if you are a candidate, contact the cardiac rehab department.
- Physical Therapy Using state of the art equipment, JMH physical therapists evaluate and treat patients who have limited mobility and function which impacts their daily lives. JMH currently employs nine PTs, physical therapists and two physical therapist assistants.
- PTs at Jones use a variety of functional and evidence-based treatment methods to return patients to their optimal funcational status. These methods include but are not limited to - aquatic therapy, wound care, manual therapy and therapeutic exercise. Jones Memorial provides physical therapy services in nursing home, preschools, and in several local schools, in addition to providing home healthcare and early intervention services.
- Since November 2006, patients seeking physical therapy services are no longer required to have a prescription from their physician. While most insurance providers do not pay for direct access care at this time, patients can self-pay. For more information, contact the JMH Rehab Department at (585) 596-4011.
- Pain Management is targeted at people who suffer from arthritis, back pain, migraine headaches, cancer pain, or other chronic pain, Physiatrist Dr. Billy Carstens uses a variety of methods to treat chronic pain including osteopathic manipulation, nerve blocks, medication management, as well as referrals to physical therapy, occupational therapy, massage therapy, and acupuncture in a holistic approach. JMH is now able to offer lumbar discograms for the diagnosis of chronic back pain.
- Acupuncture Focusing primarily on pain management, a certified licensed acupuncturist is available to help with chronic conditions, such as tendinitis, sciatica, arthritis, carpal tunnel syndrome, fibromyalgia, headaches, and neck and back pain.
- Massage Therapy is shown to provide relief from symptoms of stress, anxiety, depression, headache and insomia. Promoting general relaxation, improving circulation and relieving muscle pain and tension. The massage therapist at JMH is skilled in several types of massage:
- Swedish Massage releases body tensions using long, fluid strokes and a number of muscle kneading techniques. It improves circulation, reduces tension, relieves sore muscles, and just plain feels good!
- Deep Tissue Massage focuses on connective tissues and works deep into the muscles to help ease and release long held patterns of muscular tension.
- Hot Stone Massage includes water heated basalt stones massaging onto the muscle creating sensations of comfort and warmth.
- Chair Massage a short, seated massage which usually involves the head, neck, shoulders, back, arms adn hands. No oil products are used. The chair massage takes place with you fully clothed.
- Massage therapy is generally private pay, although some insurance proviers may cover sessions with prior authorization. For more information or to make an apointment, call the JMH Rehab Department at (585) 596-4011.
- Occupational Therapy is a science-driven, evidence-based profession that enables people of all ages to live life to its fullest by helping them promote health and prevent or live better with illness, injury or disability. At Jones Memorial Hospital, our occupational therapists treat patients in a variety of settings including the outpatient, inpatient, home health care, school based, and early intervention environments.
- OT uses a team approach to help people who are permanently or temporarily disabled to lead useful, sufficient lives. The services typically include:
- Customized treatment programs to improve one's ability to perform daily activities.
- Comprehensive home and job site evaluations with adaptation recommendations.
- Performance skills assessments and treatment.
- Adaptive equipment recommendations and usage training.
- Guidance to family members and caregivers.
- Speech Therapy Offers the assessment, diagnosis, treatment and follow-up services for inpatients and outpatients in the following areas:
- Speech: including disorders of articulation, fluency and voice.
- Language: including disorders of receptive and expressive communication.
- Dysphagia: including disorders of swallowing and oral function for feeding.
- Cognitive Aspects of Communication: including communcation disability and other functional disabilities associated with cognitive impairment.
- An individualized treatment plan with the focus of re-establishing functional communication is implemented for each patient. Treatment goals may also address specific communication-cognitive deficits through a variety of treatment techniques. Physician Referrals are required for Speech/Swallowing Evaluation and Therapy.
- The speech therapy staff includes NYS licensed professionals with advanced training in speech-language pathology who are certified by the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association.
- Audiology Clinic provides stateof the art diagnostic evaluation and hearing aid dispensing and repair. Audiologist Robert Campbell has been providing quality hearing healthcare services for patients - from infants to geriatric - for over 26 years. For more information, contact the JMH Rehab Department at (585) 596-4011.